Updated: Dec 4, 2019
Speaking naturally and fluently in English is a goal of most of my clients. It doesn't happen overnight, but with a little commitment each day, it definitely can happen.
Here are 10 ways to help make your speaking sound more natural and fluent:
1. Read. Read. Read. Reading has been proven to increase language fluency, especially if you read out loud. Choose a book about a topic you love. Read more...
2. Talk to yourself out loud in English when you're driving, doing the dishes, or when you have a free moment alone. Talk often to build and reinforce those connections in the brain.
3. Find a language exchange partner online or in person. Teach English, practice English, teach your native language or another language that you know — there are all sorts of arrangements that you can make. The key is to have a chance to speak real-time in English.
4. Keep a journal and spend 10 minutes each day writing about your life experiences in English. Read more...
5. Find a podcast in English about a topic that you love and start listening regularly.
6. Register for (and attend!) an exercise class, professional development class, or special interest class taught in English.
7. If someone in your household speaks English, agree to speak for 20 minutes or more in English each day.
8. Listen to a Ted Talk about a topic that inspires you. Read along with the transcript that is always available on the site.
9. Describe pictures in magazines. Add as much detail as you can.
10. Binge-watch on your favorite English show on Netflix.
What are some ways that you have tried? I'd love to hear from you, and your suggestions might help other ESL learners as well.